Saturday 3 November 2012

No More Daylight Savings Time Please!

Daylight Savings Time ends in a few hours. My understanding is that it first began during one of the world wars as a way to conserve fuel. For some reason it was never stopped.

I grew up in Saskatchewan. At some point the province "sprang ahead" and then decided to leave the clocks where they were. I miss that.

We live in a 24/7 society. Very few people actually work 9 - 5 anymore so is DST even relevant now? Plus, it's a fact that more car accidents occur the morning following the time change. Plus, many, many people are late. The cost to the economy for this lost time and accidents is huge. And yet DST perseveres.

"But wait," you might say "at least we get that hour back in the fall." Unless you have pets or a toddler that is. Then you're up just as early (technically earlier) as always.

A coworker once said to me "it's so nice to get that extra hour every day though." Let me explain something: there are still 24 hours in a day. You do not get an extra hour!

I've decided that I will support any politician who promises to repeal DST. Come on folks - join the 21st century!


- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: